The college, recognized by University Grants Commission of India under 2(f) and 12 (B) since 1956, is affiliated to University of North Bengal since the university was established (in the year 1962). It is spread over an area of 5.43 acres. The College was founded on the philanthropy of Late Prasannadeb Raikat (after whom the college is gratefully named) and his wife Rani Ashrumati Devi in 1950. Sri Prasannadev Raikat was the last Raja of Baikunthpur of Jalpaiguri who died in 1946. After his death , the college was established with direct contribution from Rani Ashrumati Devi. Earlier, the college also offered class XI, XII curricula.